Top 3 Marriage Based Green Card Misconceptions

  1. When I Apply for a Green Card I Will Automatically Receive a Ten Year One

When you first apply for a Green Card, and you have been married for less than two years, you will be given a temporary Green Card, which typically lasts for two years. After that, and subject to specific laws and regulations, you can apply to obtain your ten-year green card.

2. Marrying a U.S. Citizen Will Make You a U.S. Citizen

After marrying a U.S. citizen, you do not automatically become a U.S. Citizen. You do however, become eligible to apply for a green card. The application process will consist of a petition from your U.S. Citizen spouse. While trying to obtain your Green Card through marriage, you must prove that you had a lawful entry into the U.S. This means that you were admitted or paroled by an immigration officer into the U.S. If you do not have proof of entry, it is possible to obtain a Green Card, however, the process can be exponentially more complex. If your green card application is approved, you will receive a Green Card. Three years after receiving your Green Card you can apply for citizenship.

3. You Do Not Have to Prove Sufficient Financial Support

When trying to get your family member a Green Card, you must provide proof of sufficient financial support. The U.S. Immigration does not issue an immigrant visa to a person who will most likely use public benefits. You must therefore provide proof that this will not happen. If you are not able to provide this proof, then you will need to provide a co-sponsor who is a green card holder or a citizen to support the immigrant as necessary.

At The Law Office of Yifei He, PLLC, our lawyer has years of experience helping clients overcome a wide range of legal barriers. With our attorney by your side, you can navigate this process with efficiency and confidence.

Request your initial consultation by calling 1 (917) 338-7678 or sending us an online message today.